Monday, January 17, 2011

Wedding Dresses

What is it about wedding dresses that we make ourselves justify spending thousands of dollars on a dress? Say yes to the dress hasn't helped matters any. You see how the salesperson scoffs at girls that come in and only want to spend $2000 or less. Are you kidding me?? It's one day and a dress you'll never wear again!

I can't say I had the whole "say yes to the dress" moment. We were actually out looking for Whit's dress and found this bridal salon that was running a sample sale. Whit didn't find anything she liked and said she didn't care if I wanted to look. So I walked around and pulled one that I thought was cute. Because the focus was on Whit's dress, none of us were taking it very seriously that this might be the dress. However when I put it on, it fit like a glove, was a great price, didn't need to be altered and it was really what I wanted. Since it was the first dress and the first store, I contemplated whether or not to get it. I was afraid I'd have buyer's remorse if I found something I liked better at another store, but my gut kept telling me to get it. The buyer's remorse kicked in a couple days later so my mom and sisters were kind enough to humor me and let me go to a few more stores and try on. It didn't take more than a couple minutes to know that I had made the right choice and that I loved the dress I had gotten, but you'll just have to wait and see it! :-)

In the meantime, here are some dresses I used to think I wanted!


Marissa and I used to buy bridal magazines for fun when we were in high school and we'd tear out pages of dresses, flowers, shoes, rings that we liked. In the 90's I thought I'd like something like this. Thank God I didn't get married in the 90's. haha I wish I still had that folder with all of the ideas I thought I wanted. It'd probably be comical to see right about now.



Then Runaway bride came out and I absolutely loved this dress! The way Julia Roberts said it swished and swayed like a bell. I totally wanted that dress. I still think it's cute but not what I would pick now.


My most recent love interest was this dress! LOVE LOVE LOVE this dress. I wanted something with a different skirt. I'm not a big bead and sequence girl so I was a total sucker for this roses all over the dress. However, my obsession came to a screeching halt when I saw the price tag was $10,000. A little out of my budget. Not to mention trying on similar dresses to this one, I want to be able to move on my wedding day. This dress was like carrying around a 50 pound weight hanging from my waist and made me look like I was about 100 pounds heavier. Not a good look on your wedding day.
So I'm happy with mine. I didn't have the crying moment where a veil is placed on my head and all my family members tear up and sit in awe haha, but I still love the dress and know I picked the right one. :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment